Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Reflecting...

Does your life ever get so busy that you don't have the time to organize your own thoughts? It seems that way in our household lately. It's been a while since my last post, but I've had many thoughts bouncing around in my head, just not enough time to organize them into something of substance.

I have spent a great deal of time reflecting over the events of the past several weeks. Sometimes hindsight is 20/20 and sometimes, it's just plain unbelievable. I have to say that I have gained a greater compassion for those who have children suffering with an illness or challenge of some sort. I also have had a small sample of what it tastes like to have a healthy child in one moment and a very sick child in the next moment without any warning. (Although, maybe a warning really wouldn't be a good thing...with events like this, sometimes, being "surprised" gets you to the place you need to be to make it through.)

Looking back to the time that Abby began to be sick, I cannot help but offer full and overwhelming praise to the Lord for his provision, his healing, and the mere fact that He carried us through to the other side. He brought us through in an amazing way and there's no other person or place to give the glory. Abby's case of pneumonia coupled with an effusion (never heard that word until a few weeks ago) have amazed her doctors, both in Tennessee and here in Ohio. I am grateful that the doctors in Tennessee were conservative in their approach to surgery and allowed her body to begin to heal on its own. I am grateful that the doctors here in Ohio were comfortable with the previous decisions and continued with the healing process. We have been told that Abby's case of pneumonia and the presence of her effusion was a very serious case. One doctor even commented that this was the worst case she had seen. Our doctor here has said that every patient he has had with this amount of pneumonia and fluid has either been on IV antibiotics at home or had a chest tube surgically placed.

I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the healing the Lord has done with our sweet Abby, even to the point of not needing any invasive medical treatment. We have one more x-ray next week and I've been praying daily that the scans will be clear and any trace of pneumonia or fluid is gone and she will not have any lifelong effects (i.e., asthma, etc.).

I have to say, however, I feel as if my reflections over the past few weeks have been concentrated more on what it would be like to have a child who is sick, who is constantly in and out of the hospital, who is more familiar with doctors than with other children his/her own age. I have only tasted 7 days of what it would be like to live this way, the stress and emotions that immediately escalate every time the door opens and a doctor walks in.

I have been following the blog of a beautiful little girl who is fighting a battle with cancer. You can read all about her on her family's website here. Please be warned...you will fall in love with her big, beautiful blue eyes. Her parents are believers and the sharing of their faith is incredible. I have often wondered and even said aloud, "I don't know how people can get through this life without faith in Jesus Christ". This world can be so difficult and so painful. We all need a Savior to carry us through the difficult times.

One thing I learned during this time is that a simple gesture of kindness goes a long way. Emails, voice mails, comments on my Facebook, etc. were what I looked forward to during that week. Those messages and prayers gave me the encouragement and the boost I needed to keep going and to be reminded that God was/is in control. Knowing that others were sharing my burden and praying to our Father on my behalf was like food to my soul. If you know someone in your life who is going through a difficult time, don't miss the opportunity to be the love of Christ to them. A simple card or email will go a long way (even if they don't reply). It may be the very thing at the very right moment in time that gives them the confidence that was fleeing.

I am just as baffled as anyone and can get just as angry as anyone when I know or hear of a sick child. It doesn't seem fair to me, it doesn't seem right. I came across this verse in Ecclesiastes this week: "As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things." ~Ecclesiastes 11:5 This is so true! I cannot understand the work of Him, but I can understand and believe that He is the Maker of all things. I know that He loves His creation because I've read it in the Bible. I also know that children are adored and loved by Him. Mark 10:16 says "And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them." I will never understand the suffering of children, but I do understand that their Maker loves them even more than a mother's love.

This post has been so random, I know. I just want to encourage you to reach out to those around you who may be going through a difficult time. Don't be afraid and don't let the opportunity pass. Pray for the children who are sick, like sweet Kate. One day, our eyes will be opened, one day our understanding will be deeper. For now, I will continue to question, but my answer for this life will be faith.



What will you choose?

1 comment:

...Alison said...

Great post!! Wonderful parenting and inspiring faith. I'm so glad she's better!! On a day like today, I'm glad to be reminded how good I have it, no matter how crummy I feel. Thanks, friend. Tell Jason hello!