Saturday, February 26, 2011

This is the face...


...of my sweet first born child.
...of a child "in training".
...of a child who is quickly entering the tweenage years and beginning to discover who she is.
...of a child who I am so, so proud of.
...of the face of honesty and integrity.

As a parent of young children, the days can sometimes be long and challenging. Repeating myself over and over and hoping that it somehow soaks in and wondering if this child looking back into my eyes will actually make it in this big, scary world...

We are raising our children in a Christian home, trying to get them to understand and accept that the world is not always in line with what we believe, what we hold true and our version of right and wrong. However, in the midst of what others think or believe or do, we can stand firm in our beliefs and act accordingly. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that this is easier said than done. I mean, seriously, don't we all struggle with this, even as adults? It's much easier to "blend in" than to take a stand. We are a culture of choosing the comfortable.

I just have to share this story as an encouragement to any parent who might read this. The training is rigorous and monotonous, complete with ups and downs. However, when something like this happens, it is all worth it. We definitely don't get it right every day, but the beauty of night rolling into day is a new start, a chance to make this day better than the one before. And so, we press on...

...bring (your children) up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
Ephesians 6:4

My sweet Em attended a sleepover on Friday. She has a fantastic group of friends and they love, love, love their time together. Thanks to the temporary insanity of another mom, Em had the opportunity to spend the night with these giggly, enthusiastic girls. Upon my arrival to pick Em up, the host mom shared with me that the girls were set to watch a movie last night. When Em learned of the title and rating, she let her friends know that she's not allowed to watch this particular movie. She opted to play outside of the room, and one of her great friends volunteered to join her.

As I was listening to this story, I didn't know whether to scream with joy or cry. I can tell you that I'm overflowing with pride and admiration for my girl who stood up for what she believed was right. It would have been much easier to go along with the plan, not saying anything, and save herself from any possible embarrassment. However, she opted to do the right thing. (Hallelujah!) What a great lesson for our family today. Doing the right thing is ok, true friends don't make fun, and feelings of guilt are avoided.

We are so proud of you, Em! What an amazing young lady you are becoming! You are a blessing to us and so many others!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Em, I also am very proud of your standing up for the right when the other choice would have been the easy one. I commend you for your strength, courage, and your dedication to follow the Lord's will. You are indeed an exemplary young lady and I admire you and love you.
Kudos go to your parents for teaching you right and wrong. Great job, Jason and Melissa.
Love to all,
MeMa

Anonymous said...

Emily, I am so proud of you. Not only were you obedient to your parents, but you were faithful to God by standing up for your beliefs. Your actions were so pleasing to God! I love you. Jason and Melissa, this is just one of the many blessings God has in store for you. You both are awesome parents.