Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Opposites Attract

Jason and I have been married for 12-1/2 years. It's hard to believe that it's been 12-1/2 years; time passes so quickly. However, when I look back over the 12-1/2 years, so much has happened. 

Jason and I met in college. We had both been at Hardin-Simmons University the same amount of time and even though HSU is a fairly small university, our paths had not yet crossed.  Jason was an education major and spent most of his time in the education building. I, on the other hand, was a music major and lived in the music building.

In the summer of 1994, we were both seniors taking freshman English in the summer. I know you're wondering why...we weren't flunkies, just procrastinators who had put it off until we couldn't put it off any longer. Jason sat in the chair in front of me. One of the highlights of the class for me was when Jason would walk in each morning. I thought he was so cute and we would say hello to each other and that's about it. 

Now, it depends on who you talk to as to why we didn't communicate more than the hello with a friendly smile.  According to Jason, I was being a "music snob" and would only talk to my music major buddies. I just felt like Jason was either very shy or not interested in having a conversation with me. 

Fast forward a few months, and thanks to a mutual friend, Jason asked me out on a date. As we began to date and get to know each other, it became obvious rather quickly that we were opposites in many ways. 

I think that opposites attract because we see something in the other person that we admire and want to emulate. I can think of another man who walked the earth many years ago that I am attracted to. His name is Jesus. Although I have been created in the image of God, my "humanness" is in every way opposite in nature to who Jesus is. Everything He is, I admire and want more of in my own life. 

Friends, do you know Jesus? Do you want to know more about Him? Here is a great book that I recommend to begin with:



Do you know what Jesus has done and continues to do for you? Do you know the love that He has for you? This is another great book to read:



This man, Jesus, wants to be a part of your life. He gave His life for you because He loves you so much. Take the time to get to know Him; your life will never be the same! 

"This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him."
John 3:16-18 (The Message)




No comments: