Saturday, September 13, 2008

Today was a great day!

We participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure today. This is the first time we've participated in something such as this, most likely because the Texas heat was a deterrent, who knows! Anyway, we overslept this morning and almost didn't go. However, thanks to Jason's persistence, we followed through with our commitment and went, and I'm glad we did!

Today was a rainy day, but the rain couldn't stop the thousands of folks who showed up today, putting aside whatever one normally does on a Saturday morning to come together in downtown Cleveland for a common cause; a cure for breast cancer. Many folks really got into the spirit of the day; lots of women and men dressed for the cause; everything from matching team shirts to fancy decorated bras worn on the outside to silly wigs and costumes to men's t-shirts complete with references to saving the ta-tas

Little did I know that today's event would be so emotional for me! I learned from a conversation I overheard that the women in pink are breast cancer survivors. As we looked for our team, Team Laurel, I felt time stand still as I saw women and men and children wearing names of family members or friends who had been affected and defeated by this horrible disease. Mix that in with the many, many women in pink, and my eyes were moist most of the day. (And, let me tell you, these women in pink were all ages, not just gray on top.) As we found our team and were greeted by those we knew, a knot formed in my throat as one of our very own stood there wearing pink!

We will be participating in this event every year! 
Oh, and, my new favorite color is definitely pink!



From there, we joined some nice Laurel folks to visit the West Side Market, which was so cool! Rows and rows of produce, meats, cheeses, breads, bakeries, etc... Jason and I had our first Gyro. After a mental exercise with each bite of overcoming the thoughts of the cute little lamb that followed Mary to school one day, it was actually very tasty! 



Praise God that our family and friends seem to be safe and ok as Ike passed through in the wee hours of the morning. What was once projected to be a Category 4 actually hit as a Category 2. 

All in all, today was a great day!

No comments: