Thursday, April 2, 2009

Training up my children...

Train a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn from it.
Proverbs 22:6


I am a fan of routine and structure. However, I love and appreciate breaks from the daily grind as well. I often use the breaks to re-evaluate how we run our Curtis Crew and try to come up with better and more meaningful ideas. While we were in Texas, I was so impressed with my sister and how she runs her house. This is my LITTLE sister who has always seemed (at least, I think so) to look up to me. But, let me tell you, the table has turned. Her children are so well behaved and actually do housework (without grumbling!). So, I was inspired, let me tell you!

When we returned I came up with a job list for my kiddos (the oldest two, at least) that includes daily jobs and Saturday jobs. They have 3 daily jobs and 3 Saturday jobs.

Now, keep in mind, this is week one, so it's new and fun for now, but Emily & Ben have both been working so hard every day when they get home from school. Pay day will be Monday and they will put their money in Save, Give and Spend categories (heard of Dave Ramsey?).

In addition, we've added Scripture Memory. We've been visiting a church that has a fabulous family service for kids and parents. At the end of the service each week, we are given follow-up material to do together at home. We've been using the dinner table as discussion time and Scripture memorization. If Emily & Ben can say their Bible verse by Friday's dinner, they will get a certificate for one "job-free" day during the following week.

Our memory verse for this week is "We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him." Romans 8:28. I am proud to say I will be handing out two certificates at dinner tomorrow night!

No comments: